By Maya Kashak
Published: March 10, 2016
I am just getting over one of the worst colds I have had in a long time. I spent last weekend totally miserable on the couch binge-watching Downton Abbey. I was so sick my hair hurt. And apparently I was not alone. Arizona currently leads the nation in the number of influenza-like cases being reported. (see AZ Central article here).
This is a vicious flu season so I thought it would do us all good to think about ways to boost the immune system. Below are some easy things to remember to help keep our bodies healthy!
- Get enough sleep and manage stress.
- Avoid tobacco smoke.
- Drink less alcohol. (Boooo!)
- Eat plenty of vegetables, fruits, nuts, and seeds, which will provide your body with the nutrients your immune system needs.
- Catch some rays.
- Consume garlic, mushrooms and immune-supportive herbs.
Also, if you need a quick and easy way to sneak a bunch of fruit and veggies into your day, try a fresh juice or smoothie. These smoothies are amazing!
Green Warrior Protein Smoothie
By: Oh She Glows
- 1/2 cup fresh red grapefruit juice
- 1 cup destemmed dinosaur/lacinato kale
- 1 large sweet apple, cored and roughly chopped
- 1 cup chopped cucumber
- heaping 1/2 cup chopped celery (1 med. stalk)
- 3-4 tablespoons hemp hearts (I use 4 tbsp)
- 1/4 cup frozen mango
- 1/8 cup fresh mint leaves
- 1/2 tablespoon virgin coconut oil (optional)
- 3-4 ice cubes, as needed
- 1/2-1 tablespoon algae oil (do not add to smoothie – take separately), optional
Golden Glow Elixir Juice
By: The Glowing Fridge
- 2 apples, any variation
- 4 small or 2 large oranges, peel removed
- 1 lemon, peel or no peel, depending on your preference (I left the peel on but chopped off the ends)
- 2-3 inch knob of fresh ginger, peeled (adjust according to your spiciness liking)
- 2 inch knob of fresh turmeric, peeled
- 2 cups cold water
- 1 handful of ice (optional)
I hope you enjoy! Cheers to good health!